I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, July 5, 2021

Runners and Seekers

From the Golden Tarot, the Eight of Cups; from the Yantra Deck, One:

The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving. I didn't want to destroy anything or anybody. I just wanted to slip quietly out the back door... ― Elizabeth Gilbert

          There seem to be two kinds of people who leave: the runners and the seekers. The runners are making an escape from a painful situation or unhealthy environment. They feel they need to get away in order to survive. The seekers leave to explore, to find what they think will fulfill them - not to survive but to thrive. In both cases, the person often fails to see the choices they've made that led them to those unhappy places; without inner change, they might wind back up there again only surrounded by different faces. The One card is represented by an I Ching hexagram that symbolizes receptiveness. It encourages us to see our interconnection in spite of our diversity. Yesterday, a woman said she wanted to rename the Fourth of July 'Interdependence Day' to focus on our need for harmony - I heartily agree. But what about those people who cause us harm or suffering? Then I need to remember what my buddy Carolyn wrote, that everyone originated from the Big Bang. We are all conditioned by the circumstances we've experienced (so our perceived realities are different), yet my stardust is not any shinier than anyone else's. I don't have to live with them, but I don't need to hate them either.

4 comments:

  1. Our thoughts are running along the same vein this morning. If we could all remember we are star-dust, wouldn't life be a bit more bright and shiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely shine some light in the darkness!

      Delete
  2. I have this quote on my desk: “Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars. - Serbian proverb.” I like to think from stardust I became, to stardust I will return.

    ReplyDelete