I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, October 24, 2021

Making It Manageable

This week I'll be using the Dark Mansion Tarot, an independently published deck (Taroteca Studio) by Krzysztof Wasiuk and Magdalena Kaczan (artist). I'll also be using Miss Mai's Victorian Oracle, a self-published deck created by Mai (surname unknown). Today's draws are the Two of Cups and Buckle:

Partnership is giving, taking, learning, teaching, offering the greatest possible benefit while doing the least possible harm. ― Octavia E. Butler

Any partnership, whether romantic or otherwise, requires two things to make it manageable: communication and respect. These are what keep things in balance and requires the effort of both parties. Of course we might need to take a page out of Aretha's book when she sings, "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me." Families, cultures and traditions can be widely divergent, so it's good to understand how each of our ideas about communication and respect have been shaped and formed. From there, compromise will likely be necessary. For instance, some people don't want to talk about every little thing, but not talking at all can make the other feel ignored. The Buckle card represents securing something, and in the case of partnerships, that might boil down to self-awareness. An objective view of our beliefs, behaviors, strengths and weaknesses can allow us to see our part in the mix instead of just dumping all the responsibility on the other person.



6 comments:

  1. So many turn give their choices to another to make. I cannot abide someone telling me what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not want to be the ruler or the ruled; in either case, there would be no friendship of equals.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Dark Mansion cards!
    It is all too easy to blame relationship problems on the other person, and much less likely to see our own responsibility for those troubles. Becoming aware of this has helped me/us a lot over the past year or two.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed something quirky and a bit more lighthearted, so I chose this deck.
      I don't think our marriage would have a chance in hell if I had not figured out that I'm not an expert in everything. :D

      Delete
  3. Rob mostly speaks wordlessly. I've learned I have to be listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a strong but silent fellow too (at least compared to me:D).

      Delete