I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Until It Didn't

From the Dark Mansion Tarot, the Ten of Swords; from Miss Mai's Victorian Oracle, Posey:

Things you once cherished as absolute truth are now seen as half-truths or downright lies.
~Sim Campbell

We all have beliefs and ideals we hold onto, but we generally don't see any of them as detrimental until we get an unpleasant dose of reality. We then discover that what made us feel confident and good about ourselves was information that was distorted and misrepresented. As the saying goes, it worked until it didn't. Perhaps even worse is the chant of "I told you so!" from those who tried to steer us in a different direction. But Posy, a symbol of kindness, suggests a different approach. Rather than using the rod of shame, we extend a hand of goodwill. Such an action is not just about being nice; it also encourages those who might be waffling about their own blind spots. People are much more willing to admit they were wrong and become willing to change if they know such an acknowledgment will be met with compassion rather than contempt and humiliation.

4 comments:

  1. the 'told you so' folk seldom come by and say 'I was wrong' and you were right either. They are probably still telling Bezos you can never sell books online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a long time for me to be able to say and mean it when I was or am wrong. I admit to it now, knowing that my acknowledgement of my error is as much for me as another. The thing is, most people don't know how to respond or handle the admission of err from another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the admission is easier when we won't worry about being bopped over the head for it. But you're right, most people haven't learned how to accept those admissions with grace.

      Delete