I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, October 18, 2021

Pearl of Great Price

From the Mary-El Tarot, the Queen of Cups; from the OH Cards, Stone Hammer/Ugly:

The ugly duckling is a misunderstood universal myth. It's not about turning into a blonde Barbie doll or becoming what you dream of being; it's about self-revelation, becoming who you are.
—Baz Luhrmann

White writes that this Queen offers an environment where love is given and received and allowed to grow. I imagine her as a wise therapist, who knows when to poke our tender spots and when to apply a soothing balm. She would tell me that I am like a pearl, gradually shaped and formed layer by layer, first by my care givers and cultural experience. But at some point, when I come out of my 'shell,' I must accept responsibility for choosing what I value. The Ugly and Hammer Stone cards remind me that not all care givers use love and kindness to nurture their 'pearls.' Some of us are trained to believe that we are ugly, unworthy and incapable of accomplishing anything as we become adults. But the Queen would remind me those beliefs aren't facts, only an emotional choke collar once used for control. We are all beautiful pearls, she would say, but it is up to each of us to let our luminosity shine through the beliefs and principles we choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment