I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Memento Mori

From the Mary-El Tarot, Death; from the OH Cards, Selves/Apology:


Marie White explains that the Death card is tarot's memento mori - literally, "remember you must die." This phrase was said to have been whispered in the ears of victorious generals in ancient Rome to keep them grounded in reality. The Selves and Apology cards remind me of the Rod Stewart's lyrics:

I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger

Yet my past self still has wisdom for my present self, and my present self for my future self. What would they whisper in my ear? "How important, in the grand scheme of things, is this really?" "All things arise and pass away - this is the nature of reality." "What legacy are you creating with your life now?"

4 comments:

  1. That is a good question for me to ask myself at this juncture in my crossroad of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or think up a simpler question. What has Sharyn got in her pocket?

    ReplyDelete