I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, July 20, 2018

Hard-won Wisdom

From the Tarot of Pagan Cats, the Tower; from Brownie Wisdom, 'The gift:'
          Regardless of folklore, cats don't always land on their feet. The greater the height from which they fall, the more likely they will land in a way that results in injury. The injury in the Tower's case is to the ego, which uses a number of devices to lure us into the belief that we'll be untouched by the natural vicissitudes of life. We would do better to follow the teaching in the Samiddhi Sutta: "I, friend, do not reject the present moment to pursue what time will bring. I reject what time will bring to pursue the present moment." Hiding from our fears in whatever tower we construct never works out well. The little booklet suggests that while our wake-up may be unpleasant, it is not without benefit: "An unexpected event that changes everything, that destroys all that no longer serves you and allows a breakthrough, a creating of a new and more appropriate reality." The Brownie suggests that gifts should be accompanied by a cheerful heart, and it could be said the reception of a gift should be received in the same way. Such unexpected 'gifts' generally require time and a wider perspective to see the good in them. But given enough space (while letting go of our grip on what 'should be'), we may eventually see the wisdom that awaits us.

4 comments:

  1. my lightening event was yesterday, first time I wanted to cry in years and years. and years. Yet by the time an hour had gone by I'd accepted a workaround and my heart is cheerful. Once again age works to my advantage~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having more of those kind of moments as I age. I grieve then do my best to adapt. Glad you found a work-around!

      Delete
  2. Though not a little girl for many years, there are moments deep in the night I know something is under my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most all adults could relate to that feeling!

      Delete