I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Having and Helping

From the Via Tarot, the Ten of Disks; from the Nature's Pharmacy deck, 'Parsley:'
 The results of your actions can carry well past death, so make sure that you don’t sacrifice the goodness of your thoughts, words, and deeds to save things that will slip through your fingers like water. Thanissaro Bhikkhu

          What we have put into living - our energy, time and resources - has produced a harvest for us to enjoy. Yet the Ten of Disks is not focused on sitting on our comfy couch and being complacent, rather it urges us to use what we have with discernment and generosity. Hoarding tends to corrupt and create paranoia. There's a reason some of the richest people in the world (like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates) are also some of the biggest philanthropists. They know happiness doesn't come from simply having it all. Parsley is often seen as a garnish, but because of its high chlorophyll content, it has been used since ancient times to freshen the breath. It is also high in Vitamin K and thus aids in calcium absorption and improving bone health. Like many herbs, Parsley is a helper; together with the Ten of Disks, it suggests 'having' is not the ultimate goal but 'helping.'

4 comments:

  1. Is someone pushing a giant boulder there at the top?
    I think the generous heart and hand are born traits. I don't know any stingy cheapskates who ever had a change of heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrooge? :D
      The person at the top is referred to as "the Virgin driving out Reason" - I think referring to the pure-hearted who is generous (Reason is symbolized by the dog pack).

      Delete
  2. I see a legacy of healing women in that Ten of Pentacles - there are lots of female doctors and dentists on both sides of my family tree :D
    I liked these images, though I'm not always into Thoth-alikes. When I looked for the deck online, what a shock! Available for over $1,400!! Ah well, I don't really need any more decks in any case :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your eyes open for the deck online (and perhaps on the forums); I got this one for a very reasonable amount (I'm a penny pincher).
      I think there is a reason why women have been healers throughout history; they know it is more important than just making a living - it gives living a meaningful purpose!

      Delete