I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Blinkered Focus

From the Idiosyncradeck, the Five of Cups; from the Mixed Emotions Cards, Happy:
          A once full teacup lies shattered on the floor. It is a good description of the sudden end of a relationship, whether it comes from betrayal, a cold shoulder, or physical loss. At that moment, my world shrinks down to that event, blocking out the rest of the world. It is all my mind thinks about, as if everything else has been frozen. But the Happy card suggests that I don't have to identify my life with this singular event. Yes, I will grieve the relationship, but I don't have to self-identify with it as if it was the only thing that made my life worthwhile.

Both wisdom and compassion shift our sense of identity away from ourselves toward the wider human, biotic, and cosmic community to which we belong.
—Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi 


4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, that moment of realization of the complete betrayal... I wonder how much that moment, a good 50 years ago, has colored my life? More than I would credit I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those emotional whammies have a way of throwing a blanket over us, and we tend to snuggle up under them.

      Delete
  2. I am in the thick of giving a cold shoulder. For years trying to a make a friendship work. No more, not even a how do you do as I pass her in the halls at the office. Nope not another second more as I kick the shards of brokenness out of my path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've been getting it rather than giving it. It's her loss, though she might not realize it now. (((C)))

      Delete