I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, March 18, 2021

It Was a Nice Idea

From the Victoria Regina Tarot, the Seven of Coins; from the Alchemist's Oracle, Instincts:

Everything was such a damned nice idea when it was an idea.
― Tim O'Brien

          This fellow doesn't seem that pleased with the result of his work; sometimes the fruits of our labor just don't meet our expectations. I have a raised bed that I often toss the dead seed heads of wild flowers in that I collect on my walks. Two years ago, I added a couple of woodland sunflower seed heads, and this year I had about 500 filling my 4x6 foot flower bed. I had the same experience with some copper tips I found that had been dug up by a grader. Like O'Brien's quote, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I spent several hours pulling up plants and replanting a few in more appropriate spaces this past weekend. My goal is to redo the bed with flowering plants for hummingbirds and pollinating insects. Yet the Hamsa hand, a protective Middle Eastern talisman, suggests either a full stop or a pause. If I fear making a mistake again, I might forego enjoying some lovely flowers I took a chance on. But with a pause, I can do some research first before planting. 

6 comments:

  1. too funny. What part of invasive is unclear :) We once got a bag, expensive, of a wild flower mix for a bare patch... about 3 things is all that came up, but we've been 30 years trying to get those three things gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodland sunflowers are a native plant here, but I didn't realize how much they would enjoy the soil in my raised bed! :D

      Delete
  2. I planted my large perennial bed ever so carefully so there would always be something in bloom and there would be variety and balance from left to right and front to back. And in a way there has been, but in another way those flowers just seem to do what they want, for reasons I may never understand. This year I'm going to make major changes, requiring serious digging. Sweetpeas to the fore!! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Kate, I prefer some variety. I've added some purple coneflowers and perennial salvias this year.

      Delete
  3. Once I bought packages of Forget-me-nots for giveaways at open-houses. I decided to plants some of the seeds myself. Talk about invasive. Tried getting rid of them for years, then they became someone else's problem when I sold the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my sunflowers! I don't mind flowers spreading if they are in an appropriate space, but some of those self-seeders can go crazy. :)

      Delete