I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Knowledge Within

From the Tarot of the Absurd, the High Priestess; from the Post-psychedelic Cyberpunk Deck, Energy:


          This High Priestess seems to be crawling inside a book of knowledge, but what she is actually doing is diving deep within herself. This is not an exercise in navel-gazing, but an investigation into the undercurrent of thought and feeling that runs constantly in the background of the mind; it causes us react in unskillful ways when we are unaware of it. The Energy card reminds me of an equanimity meditation, part of which reads: “I am responsible for the energy and attention I give my thoughts, feelings, and experiences.” (In equanimity, we come to understand that our happiness and suffering is not caused primarily by our experiences and circumstances, but in our responses to them.) An undercurrent of emotional energy given free rein is like being bound with puppet strings we've tied ourselves. 

Once we see an inner pattern of mind clearly and bring to it mindful awareness and acceptance, this in itself initiates the process of self-liberation. ― Rob Nairn

2 comments:

  1. did you pick up The Secret, Book & Scone Society off bookbub a few days ago? Interesting take on how books work. and scones... I want to live there and be friends with these women, a very different reaction for me. Anyway...we never know how opening a book will touch us do we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a surprise. I just finished the "Cat Who" series and felt like Braun must have been really unwell when she wrote her last book. It felt disjointed, without a plot, and really pulled the rug out from under the major character and just left him there. I'll have to see if I can find that book!

      Delete