I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Change and Effort

From the Legacy of the Divine Tarot, the Wheel of Fortune; from the Tea Leaf Reading Cards, Sword:


These two cards, one representing change and the other discernment, made me think of the phrase that I and others have uttered often lately: "When will I get a break!" The problem is not that things don't change - life is a constant ebb and flow, a movement of losing and receiving - but that we want our situation to be stuck in a way that pleases us all the time. The irony is that even when things are good (say we get a new car), we still worry and get angry (as when someone dings that car at the grocery store). Life is a constant effort, from the time we are born and learn to walk to our later years when we must navigate the process of aging. Yet at the center of life's wheel of change is a hub that keeps us from feeling like we're spinning out of control. It is our connection to the Ground of Being (to use the words of Paul Tillich) which we can tap into through the spiritual practices and rituals that have meaning for us.

3 comments:

  1. If the hub holds. Gosh my worry box would be the size of Georgia if I decided to worry about the world being stuck vs. how bad it will be if it comes unstuck ;) Now I have to add 'the hub'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, part of my spiritual practice is learning to let go of the concerns I can't influence and focus on an appropriate response to those I can. :)

      Delete
    2. And if the hub doesn't work, it might be time to find a new one! :D

      Delete