I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, April 11, 2022

Devil vs. Angels

From the Legacy of the Divine Tarot, the Devil; from the Tea Leaf Reading Cards, Angel: 


One thing I appreciate about Marchetti's Devil is that he's enticing, promising us comfort, pleasure and release. The Devil represents that part of us that desires these things because we are stressed and weighed down with anger, grief or fear. He symbolizes our seeking for something to remove what we're dealing with, a longing which can lead to all sorts of unhealthy behaviors if we form a dependence on them. I prefer to see the Angel card as an indication of humans who help, much like Stevie Ray Vaughan's take: "The way people come into your life when you need them, it's wonderful and it happens in so many ways. It's like having an angel. Somebody comes along and helps you get right." I've got a core sample biopsy tomorrow, and my inner devil would love me to succumb to all sorts of pleasures that would ultimately upend my well-being. Thankfully, I have the support of friends and spiritual teachers to remind me it's not as big as my mind is trying to make it.

2 comments:

  1. I hope all is well and it is great that you have a support system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I definitely have a fantastic surgeon!

      Delete