I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, April 25, 2022

Getting Free

From Tarot by Caro, the Ten of Swords; from the Holtizka I Ching, Hexagram 49:


It never fails to amaze me how we humans will defiantly stick to our beliefs and ideas even in the face of a starkly different reality. Some of us would rather suffer or die than relinquish any of our delusions. The swords that pin this woman (and will eventually cause her drowning) could easily be removed if she simply acknowledged the evidence: "I was wrong. I didn't fully understand. I didn't want to know the truth because it made me afraid." The 49th Hexagram is titled Revolution and refers to an inner and outer change in us to keep pace with the evolving and changing world around us. Part of that change will require letting go of some cherished ideas and accepting others that are more beneficial and wholesome, however hard that may be. As James Garfield said, "The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable."

6 comments:

  1. One of the first things I noticed with tarot how the 8 swords could easily be removed. The 10, well, so sorry Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, once you get to the ten, you might get them removed but there will still be consequences to deal with.

      Delete
  2. Ouch, the Ten of Swords always makes me want to dive under the covers and hide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why it's so hard to move past - we just want it to go away. :)

      Delete
  3. I love reading the way you experienced taroters interpret the cards! I learn something every time. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! I'm getting more comfortable with going what passes through my mind when I see a card (though I do try to stay within a framework). :)

      Delete