I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Heads and Feet

   This week I'll be working with the Golden Dawn Tarot, created by Israel Regardie and Robert Wang.  Today's draw is the Queen of Swords:
With the severed head dripping on the floor, I take it this queen does not suffer fools gladly.  In fact, she is known for her BS detector, and will slice and dice through any words or actions that aren't authentic.  She has no time for head games, she's only interested in the truth and facts.  She wears as a crest on her chest a cherub's head and wings.  These beings became depicted by Renaissance artists as cute babies with wings, but actually they were fierce creatures with swords; they are first seen in Genesis guarding the gates of Eden.  This queen uses the cherub to guard her heart, because she will not allow emotion to overshadow her decisions.  Her throne is above the clouds, indicating she has both a clear head and a clear vision of all that surrounds her.  Though she wears armor, her feet are bare, implying that her ideas and choices are balanced and grounded.  She encourages me to protect myself by using my head rather than my heart to filter information today.

     The oracle deck I'll be using this week is The Circle, created by D.R. Taylor.  All the cards are like pie slices, so they can be used in a circle spread.  This morning's draw is "Journey:"
This card reminds me of walking along a beach, as my feet leave their prints in the soft, wet sand.  I can look back and see where I've been, but only I can make the choice of where I'm going.  I may see other folks' footprints, but they do not fit my feet.  There is a sense of adventure implied in this image - new experiences and new ideas - that I'm eager to meet along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment