I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Facts First

From the Tarot of the Masters, the Moon; from the Key to the Kingdom, the 'Ace of Hearts:'
          When someone has just enough information to be enticing but not enough for clarity, things can get out of hand quickly. The Moon sets such a scenario, making situations and ideas seem like we've got the drop on what's happening. But when we don't have all the information we need for understanding what is actually going on, we're liable to make some terrible choices based on what we think we know. I've been working on an Emotional Inventory (from the work of Dr. Alan Berger) this month. It is helping me to see what lies beneath my waters which creates unhealthy emotional reactions when I experience conflict. It's been amazing to see what's been dredged up so far. The verse for the Ace of Hearts comes from Mary St. Leger Harrison in which she describes the brief life of a butterfly. The context for the verse is her character's description of marriage: "Marriage is a sort of grave, Sara, in which it seems to me, women are called upon to bury a whole lot of precious and delightful possibilities." While Miss Crookenden (the character in the story) might be right on some level, she leaves out that what is given up might be filled with other rewards. As the humor of Mark Twain advises, "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

2 comments:

  1. A few weeks ago I was at the beach. One morning I set watching the waves a spotted some butterflies. They were following the shore-line south, I guess. Over the next hour or so I counted close to hundred or more. Amazing view and gift. Sometimes it is what is right in front of us that warrants our attention. Bright Moon Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that wonderful experience! I wonder if they were migrating?

      Delete