I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, October 19, 2018

Will One Thing

From the Prisma Visions Tarot, the Page of Chalices; from the Secret Language of Color, 'Sapphire:'
Purity of heart is to will one thing. 
– Soren Kierkegaard

          This pure-hearted Page offers a bowl of clear, fresh water to the turgid river. Kierkegaard's quote suggests we live by a unifying principle (Good) that gives us meaning and purpose. It also requires that we don't divide our mind and hearts - what I wish for myself (happiness, peace, safety) is what I wish for everyone without exception. Without this 'one thing,' I will continually be in conflict and dissatisfied. The Good gives me a way to prioritize and make choices that won't add suffering to everyone's load (including my own). As Kierkegaard phrased it, "If it be possible for a man to will the Good in truth, then he must be at one with himself in willing to renounce all double-mindedness." Sapphire encourages regeneration, growing back what was lost or damaged. What has been damaged in humanity? Our love for one another has been replaced by division, separation, hatred, and distrust. I am not advocating giving everyone a pass for bad behavior (actions have consequences), but perhaps I could look at others through the lens of that unifying principle, realizing with compassion that we all operate under layers of ignorance and conditioning.

The Three Pure Precepts:
With purity of heart, I vow to refrain from ignorance.
With purity of heart, I vow to reveal beginner's mind.
With purity of heart, I vow to live, and be lived, for the benefit of all beings.
—Shunryu Suzuki

4 comments:

  1. we now have a Buddhist place just up the river. http://www.kalamarivermeditation.org/home.html
    At one time I thought it would be beneficial to go to a center for a retreat. When I thought about it this morning I realized my mind isn't up to thinking for three days, not enough left, I'd have to rerun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm envious.😁 Probably more mind training than thinking.
      Power went out again for a while. I think I heard the whole neighborhood groan in unison.

      Delete
  2. I like that Page of Cups. He seems to be adding holy water to the river, sending his blessings out to world through the water. I almost said sapphire water, pouring the blessing into the deep blue. I remember a recent PBS special that reminded me that water has no color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of using the water to bless others.😊

      Delete