I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Served on a Silver Platter

From the Spiral Tarot, the Five of Pentacles; from the Sacred Journey Cards, 'Thrive:'
          The booklet states this Five of Pentacles is about 'poverty of mind and spirit.' In other words, it not a basic needs issue but a First World problem issue. To illustrate:
1) I can't believe I still have to use this lame-ass (not the newest model) iPad.
2) Why didn't they make this toaster with a bagel setting?!
3) I had to wait twenty minutes in line to vote this morning!
4) Wi-fi is out again (followed by curse words).
5) Can you believe my cleaning lady wanted me to change days this week?!
The Thrive card is a reminder that much of my wellness and well-being depends on my actions and attitudes. The Declaration of Independence might give me the right to pursue happiness, but that doesn't mean I'm entitled to it served on a silver platter. Recent research in the field of positive psychology has shown that 40% of our happiness is determined by intentional behavior. As psychologist Martin Seligman explains, "Curing the negatives does not produce the positives."


7 comments:

  1. I don't want to...is how many of my negatives leave my mouth. I work on I want to...but sometimes I haven't worked out the why I don't so I can formulate a better approach. Clear as mud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. Beginning anything is always harder than the actual task itself in many cases.

      Delete
  2. Woe is me! We all have those days. Hunker down and march through or go back to bed and hide from the day. Tomorrow...better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still reciting my mantra: I am more fortunate than I feel.

      Delete
    2. Fortune favors the Bold! Give it all you got!

      Delete
  3. It's hard to maintain perspective when you feel like shit. Worth trying though! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to claim that I was a pro at this (not by a long shot!), but the more I practice with the little things the better I get at the bigger things.

      Delete