I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Blooming Even So

From the Idiosyncradeck, Strength; from the Mixed Emotions deck, Empowered:

None but himself can alter his condition.
― James Allen

A flower grows in less than optimal conditions, dealing with extra heat, less water and limited root space. This Strength card is symbolic for all of us at some time in our life; tough circumstances require courage and resilience to deal with where we find ourselves. As Maya Angelou so eloquently put it, "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them." Or as the tee shirts say, "Bloom where you're planted." Easy to say, hard to do on a daily basis. The Empowered card suggests becoming strong and confident when it comes to controlling our life and claiming our rights. Such a trait does not come without practice: by doing the things that cause our fear. The words of Eve Ensler describe this practice perfectly:

Cherish your solitude. Take trains by yourself to places you have never been. Sleep out alone under the stars. Learn how to drive a stick shift. Go so far away that you stop being afraid of not coming back. Say no when you don’t want to do something. Say yes if your instincts are strong, even if everyone around you disagrees. Decide whether you want to be liked or admired. Decide if fitting in is more important than finding out what you’re doing here.




4 comments:

  1. I learned to drive a car with a stick, and we lived on a really steep hill. wonder that car had any transmission left. Starting in 2nd gear was my best tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, I had multiple teachers who tried hard to teach me how to drive a stick shift, but they all ultimately decided their transmission was more important than my education. :D

      Delete
  2. Ha! Ladies. I learned to drive a stick shift in a half-ton when I was 16, but when I was 21 a man who'd lost his driver's licence asked me to drive a big truck with standard gears to deliver his stock of pop in glass bottles to various retail outlets. By the time I'd made a number of jerky stops and starts, there was pop pouring under the back door and that guy was glaring at me, but couldn't say anything because I had been trying to help. Poor bugger. -Kate

    ReplyDelete