I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, November 12, 2021

The Pain of Learning

From the Delta Enduring Tarot, the Novice of Oysters (Page of Cups); from the Southernisms Oracle, "Pitch a hissy fit:"


Seasoned oyster shuckers know to always wear a heavy glove on the hand that holds the shell to prevent what has happened to this young man. As a metaphor, he represents folks who haven't learned that some relationships can be painful. The 'hissy fit' card suggests someone having a hysterical outburst. Such a tantrum is generally tied to entitlement - either feeling that one didn't get something deserved or feeling that one shouldn't have to deal with what one did get. I can just imagine someone lambasting this young boy for being stupid and careless with the knife. In the matters of the heart, he could get pummeled with "I told you she was trash." But the reality of it is that he is hurt (whether hand or heart), and what he needs most is compassionate help. He doesn't need a lecture to learn, as the pain will do that on its own.

Thinking back on it all, it must have been the most difficult part of mothering she ever had to do: knowing the outcome, yet feeling she had no right to keep me from charting my own path. I thank her for all her virtues, but mostly for never once having said, "I told you so."
~Erma Bombeck 


6 comments:

  1. I spent 8 hours with an oyster knife digging for dinosaurs, happy memory. My mind wonders why he hasn't pulled it out. I know lots of quilters who have run the sewing machine needle through their finger. One went to emergency carrying her machine still attached. :) still laughing about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow - still shuddering about the sewing machine incident. I think most EMTs would advise not pulling out any large object as it can cause more damage or a massive bleed. I guess shock can freeze the logical part of our brain!

      Delete
  2. What a useful interpretion of and connection between these two cards. Thank you. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually was presented with a situation later where it served me well. Thanks for your kind words, Kate. :)

      Delete