I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, November 7, 2021

Just Watching the Cork Bob

This week I'll be using the Delta Enduring Tarot, created and self-published by Bridgette Egan. Along with it, I'll be drawing from the Southernisms Oracle (a deck I created based on sayings I grew up with). Today's draws are the Hermit and "Act like you've got some raisin':"


Rather than alone on a mountain top, this fellow sits on a deck off his elevated house surrounded by flood waters. Wise to the rhythms of the Mississippi floodplain, this is one of many storms he's weathered. He relaxes while waiting on a nibble from a fish, knowing that eventually the waters will recede. The Hermit relishes these times alone for self-reflection; the lack of busyness allows him to check and see whether he's following his own principles and values or just talking about them. If needed, he can change his thoughts and behavior and get back on course. "Act like you’ve got some raisin’ doesn’t have anything to do with a dried grape, but rather is a strong warning to be polite and use good manners. There is a time for solitary contemplation and a time for reaching out to help others. There's nothing spiritual about self-absorption.

The universe of his own feelings keeps crowding everyone else's out.
― Garth R. Hallberg

2 comments:

  1. A saying, expression I have not heard before.
    I like this Hermit. Approaching a hardship with ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the feeling he's dealt with something similar many times before.

      Delete